In April 2016, we took a trip to Arcadia (yes, that is the real name) Florida to see my wife's grandparents. During that trip we picked up a few arcade machines - Multicade, Silver Strike, and Golden Tee Fore. You will see each of those pages start with this same info:

The first game we picked up was a broken Golden Tee "Fore". I had negotiated the owner down to $80 but ended up leaving my hand truck (dolly) there by mistake and had to buy another one. So, I really paid $145 ($80 for the game and $65 for a new dolly). It was a good thing I bought it because this monstrosity is the heaviest game I have ever seen. I figure it weighs at least 300 pounds. It is very tall as well - especially with the LED topper in the upright position:

I needed to be able to move the cabinet around in the shop but it was way too heavy. I ended up putting extremely heavy duty steel casters on the bottom instead of the normal leg levellers. How do you put them on by yourself? Lift the machine in the air a couple of inches at a time by sliding wood under it on one side then the other. After about 30 minutes of work you have it high enough to screw the wheels on. I used my left hand (I'm serious about this) to put the wheels on because I didn't want to lose my right hand if the thing fell on me:

The initial inspection showed the game had the infamous "No Signal" error. This means the monitor is not seeing any input:

After drilling out the locks, I slid the control panel out to reveal the motherboard. This Golden Tee game is a lot like your home computer. There is a monitor, a motherboard, a video card, and a hard drive:

The first test I did was to check the voltage. It should have been 5.1V to 5.2V but was reading close to 5.4 volts. I read this at the ATX molex connectors and at the U15 chip (pins 16 and 32). I adjusted the voltage but it still would not boot:

The next thing I looked at was the video card. I've heard that there are a lot of problems with the cards in these machines so I wanted to make sure it checked out ok. I pulled the card and scrubbed the pins with a pencil eraser. Cleaning the pins and reseating the card did not make a difference. I threw the card in an old desktop I had sitting in the shop. It worked fine so that wasn't the problem:

If it wasn't a bad video card it must have been the motherboard. I pulled the GT Fore motherboard out and swapped it with a Capcom Bowling jamma board. The jamma fired right up:

I put the GT board back in and turned my attention to the boot eprom. I pulled it and read the code with my GQ-4x4. Everything indicated ok (the bin file matched up with the bins posted online). Since I had the chip out I burned it with the latest Eagle ver 2.09 code:

I noticed some status lights on the motherboard. I did a quick search and found that they should both be blinking but mine were not. Status 1 (D20) remained solid with only Status 2 (D5A) blinking. This told me the motherboard was most definitely not booting:

I had all but given up - actually, I had given up but a few weeks later I was giving the motherboard one last look and noticed SW31. For some reason I had not seen it before. I guess I was concentrating too much on the chips and video. Note the tiny 8-pin U512 chip above the switch (remember this for later):

Wow, a quick press on SW31 and the motherboard came alive. It went through some bios tests and the game booted right up:

This was the first time I got to see the LED topper working:

Once I was in the game I saw that there was a problem with the trackball. I could not move it in the down direction. I took it apart, cleaned everything inside, and it worked fine:

Now I could finally play the game that had been sitting in my shop for the past three months. I noticed that it would not save the high scores so I swapped out the NVRAM chip with a new ST M48T02-70PC1 16 Kbit (2Kb x8) timekeeper SRAM:

I also noticed that I could not connect to IT Net. This was the home base server that kept all the nationwide scores. I found out that the server had been shut down years ago:

Since IT Net was now defunct, I pulled the modem (especially since I don't even have a POTS line in the house let alone one in the shop):

Geez, I hope I don't need that again because I really bent the pins all to hell getting that stubborn bastard out:

For the next two months I searched for a solution to my problem. I could play the game but I had to hit the reset switch on the motherboard each time I wanted to boot up. I got a few clues here and there but one day I found that the U512 chip monitors +5V and if it falls below it will generate the master reset. I had no idea where to get a replacement for this chip but that had to be the problem. I found a kind soul on KLOV named KINGDBAG (he doesn't sound like a kind soul but he is) who had a GT board that he was using for parts. He volunteered to send me his U512 to see if it fixed my problem. Yep, that was it. I swapped out my U512 with his and the game boots up just fine now. Even though it was only 8 pins it was rough changing that chip out. I don't do much surface mount work so I wasn't really sure how to tackle this. In the end I used my hot air rework station to melt the solder and pull the chip. I also had to use my super fine soldering tip to install the new one. Here you can see how small it actually is: