In May 2016, I purchased an Ataxx machine along with another 9 games in my Barn Find for $400.



Here you can see the Ataxx sitting next to my PC-10:



On the way home something interesting happened. The Ataxx marquee blew off and revealed the machine was originally a Gauntlet. I was very puzzled by this because you never see a two player Gauntlet machine:



Yep, I found documentation inside the cabinet that confirms what it used to be:



What a horrible way for the Gauntlet (or any machine for that matter) to be kept:



Hmm, a quick swipe with a wet rag and the control panel started to come alive:



The joysticks were in pretty bad shape:



I didn't really have any experience with the Atari joysticks so I did some quick research. Believe it or not, you have to put grease on these things:



Frugal is my middle name so I took the old control panel bolts, chucked them up in my drill, and spun them over sandpaper. They look much better:



The control panel came out looking pretty well despite how it started out:



The marquee had glue residue left over from the Ataxx marquee. As much as I tried I could not get the residue off. Yes, I know all the tricks - they just haven't worked for some reason:



Even though the glue is still on the marquee the front of the cabinet came out looking fine:



Six months ago I had my workshop set up the way I wanted it. I had spent a few years getting everything in just the right place. Now that I have turned it into an arcade, it is hard to do the simplest of tasks. The wood on the bottom of the cabinet was a little rotten and the wheels were not holding on very well. Here is my setup where I kneel on the ground, in the dark, to cut some plywood for the new wheels. This was not the way I would have done it a while back:



Once the wood squares were cut, I drilled holes in them to hold leg leveler nuts:



After driving in the nuts, I used wood glue and screws to hold the wheel mounts to the bottom of the cabinet:



Once the outside of the cabinet was "finished", I started working on the inside. As dirty as the outside was, the inside didn't really look that bad. At least there were no dead animals in there. I could see that the original switching power supply had been replaced:



I fired up the game and was pleasantly surprised to see that something came up. No, this wouldn't look good to most people but I was happy the monitor worked and I was getting something to come up on the pcb. If I could get to this point I'm sure I could fix it:



I pulled the pcb and started reseating the chips. There were not many socketed eproms on this board so I doubted that was the cause of the problem. I also did some quick cleaning of the board. I also took this opportunity to remove the pcb mounted battery. These things have been known to kill quite a few games:



Ah, looking much better. I still need to do a cap kit on the monitor but I've got my hopes up that this thing will be 100% very soon:



Well, after doing a cap kit on the WG 19K7901 monitor it did not look any better. There was some breakup at the top of the screen and I feared that once again I was seeing some vertical collapse:







Note - You are probably seeing missing links to some pictures above. I still use Notepad to create the html code and have a template with plenty of extra references to pictures to save on typing. As I continue the page I will add pictures and descriptions and these missing links will disappear.